Owner: Whalehead Club
Architect: Cederquist Rodriguez Ripley Maddux
Progressive Contracting Company, Inc. (PCCI) provided the full historic restoration of the Whalehead Heritage Park. Built in the 1920’s, by hunting enthusiast Mr. & Mrs. Albert Knight as a winter cottage, the 23,000 square feet Nouveau/Victorian style mansion and boathouse sits on the Northern tip of North Carolina’s Outer Banks on Corolla Island. In 1992, Currituck County purchased the badly deteriorated Whalehead Club in the interest of historic preservation which today, is an intricate part of Currituck Heritage Park and is situated on 39 acres of sound front property, and is open to public tours daily.
Whalehead Heritage Park, as the site is now called, is listed on the National Historic Register and the mansion serves duel-purpose as a Wildlife Museum and as a house museum exhibiting original restored period furnishings.